While my kids were growing up, I always tried to limit the amount of television they watched for fear they’d become addicted to the “boob tube”. It was a legitimate concern, not wanting to have raised two “Mike Teavee’s” worthy of a Wonka-eque lesson. But no matter how many reruns of Saved By the Bell they may have watched, I thank my lucky stars that I don’t have to worry about raising children in this day and age!
Parents don’t just have to worry about television addiction, now there is the much more interactive and enveloping world of video games. Suddenly, when people were once simply engrossed in storylines that aired for an hour once a week, now they are inserting themselves into the story and playing away hours and hours of their precious lives.
There is a fine line however between recreational playing and hardcore video game addiction. “How do I know if I’m addicted” you may ask? Here are some things to look out for.
- Do you have to continue to play more frequent and longer sessions to get the same “thrill” or “high” that you first got?
- Do you have withdrawal when there is no controller in your hand? Are you grumpy when you’re not playing?
- Do you fantasize about the game or obsess over occurrences or moves you made within the game when you’re not playing?
- Do you completely lose track of time while playing? Do you stay up into the wee hours of the night playing “just one more round”.
- Do you neglect other aspects of your life? Do you forget to eat or drink because you are in the middle of a game?
Any of these could be signs that you suffer from gaming addictions.
Although games are a fun pastime now and again, no one wants to waste their life in front of a television screen. Get out there and live! I promise you the real world is just as exciting (and the graphics are certainly the most realistic!)
The good news is that hypnosis can help any individual overcome whatever is the focus of their addiction…even an addiction to video games.
Call my office at 212.599.3195 and let me help you put down the controller.